Our Guiding Principles
- Partnership. We create vital partnerships between organizers of book drives and African communities.
- Community involvement. We proudly rely on local, grass-roots participation to collect, sort, pack and ship books from North America and to set up, promote and run libraries in Africa.
- Volunteerism. We rely on a network of talented volunteers who contribute with heart and keep our operations affordable.
- Efficiency. We make it easy for anyone to collect and ship books, so that people with limited resources can still have a huge impact.
- Sustainability. We don’t just ship books. We provide systems, support and follow-up to make sure our libraries succeed.
- Cultural fit. We send books with universal appeal or with specific relevance to Africa.
- Learning for all. We educate our book drive volunteers, especially schoolchildren, about current conditions in Africa.
- Environmental impact. We recycle gently used English language books to help meet the urgent shortage of books in Africa. Many of these books would otherwise end up in landfills.