How we create Libraries in Africa
All it takes to create a single library for students in need is 1000 gently used children’s books and $500 toward shipping.
In the United States, our volunteers collect, sort, and pack gently used children’s books and raise modest funds to ship each library. Hosting a book drive is a fun and engaging way to make a positive impact with your friends, family, and co-workers!
We match each book drive with a specific African school or community in need. Each school or community is required to provide the space, bookshelves and staffing for the library, which encourages sustainability. They also specify the kinds of books needed for greatest impact. Over the course of their project, U.S. book drive organizers learn more about the African country and communities they are impacting.
Check out our calendar below to see our upcoming mailing deadlines!
We are still accepting book drive registrations! However due to the COVID-19 epidemic, these dates are tentative, but we will give you plenty of notice if we change the deadline. We are currently seeking active book drive organizers to collect 500 to 1000 gently used children’s books to start libraries in various countries in Africa. Please see below for an updated schedule:
Winter/Spring Book Drives
Feb 1, 2022
March 1, 2022
April 1, 2022
May 1, 2022
Summer/Fall Book Drives
September 15, 2021 - complete
December 1, 2021
August 1, 2022
December 1, 2022
5-step overview of a successful book drive
Step 1: Register and Plan the Perfect Book Drive
- Register for a book drive by clicking Take Action
- Identify places where you can find books
- Spread the word about your book drive
- Brainstorm how to fundraise about $500 for shipping
- Learn about your school match and the African nation and community you’ll be contributing to
Step 2: Collect and Sort Your books
- Figure out the types of books you’ll need to collect
- Create collection opportunities in convenient locations
- Strive to collect books that are culturally diverse and representative
- Be creative and keep people updated on your progress
- Sort your book donations (as you go) using our Book Drive Guidelines and Do and Don’t list
Step 3: Pack Your Books Carefully
- Gather the recommended packing materials
- Keep count of the number of books packed in each box
- Pack your boxes securely and to a weight of no more than 40 pounds each
- Affix your African Library Project mailing labels
Step 4: Mail, Donate, and Leave the Rest to Us
- Mail your boxes using US Postal Service Media Mail (about $250)* or use an alternative method
- Send the remaining $250 as an international shipping donation to us
- Email your book drive summary stats
- Celebrate! You did it. Stay tuned for updates about your books and be sure to follow us on social media.