COVID-19 Updates: doing good at home
As the coronavirus pandemic continues to challenge and disrupt communities around the globe, the African Library Project is working tirelessly to continue to get books into the hands of eager readers. Below is a partial list of the actions we are taking, which we will continue to update:
african library project – one box
Join Us to Start Small Libraries in Malawi. It’s easy! Start by registering at ONE BOX Sign Up, then follow the steps below.
Collect one or more boxes of children’s books
- Check your bookshelves
- Ask your neighbors. Nextdoor.com works great!
- Put a flyer up in your apartment building
Sort your books
- Books should be in good condition – something you would be proud to have in your own library
- Pre-K through 8th grade reading levels
- Fiction, nonfiction, or reference books like children’s encyclopedias, dictionaries or atlases
- No US holidays or religious books
Pack your books
- Use a sturdy cardboard box (no larger than 12” x 12” x 16”)
- Pack your box carefully and adhere the US Post Office Media Mail label we will email to you
Mail your box
- Pay about $20 at US Post Office (depends on weight of box)
- Mail by July 1st, but the sooner the better
Spread the word!
- Take a picture while you pack
- Use your social media to inspire your friends to help get books to Africa
donating masks in the bay area
During this time of need, the African Library Project is also pulling together to support the San Francisco Bay Area we call home. We are proud to partner with HomeFirst to donate reusable face masks to homeless community members in need. For each $25 donated, we’ll send one mask to HomeFirst. Help us reach our goal donating 300 masks this month by donating. You can also create a peer-to-peer fundraiser on Facebook.
educational updates on the impact of covid-19 in africa
During this time of need, Working closely with our partners on the ground, we plan to bring you a series of online discussions and website content about how the communities and schools we serve are dealing with the coronavirus outbreak. The best way to stay up to date is to subscribe to our newsletter below or follow us on social media.