Online Silent Auction (Hybrid)
Over the last two years, Harambee! has been a virtual event due to the pandemic. And while we are thrilled to be hosting an in-person event again in the Bay Area, we know and understand that not everyone in our community lives in the vicinity of the Bay Area. To extend Harambee! to our entire community, we will be including 20+ in an online silent auction. What this means is that these items will be up for bid prior to the event and will close when the silent auction at the live event closes, and you’ll be competing to win items alongside those who are at the in-person event. That’s right, people in-person will be have the chance to bid on these items too!
Window of operation: Monday, October 17 at 1:30 PM PT – Saturday, October 22 at 7:10 PM PT
To participate in the online silent auction, you must, click the ‘Get Started’ button on the online auction webpage. In order to bid, you must set up an account through the ‘Get Started’ button. Items that are ‘Preview Only’ are in-person only items.
Items available for online bidders:
- Handmade African items and jewelry
- One-hour guitar lesson
- 90-minute floral arranging workshop
- 18″ American Girl Doll (Melody) with book
- Seven (7) night stay in a beautiful two-bedroom condo in Chicago with parking
- Six (6) night accessible mobile camping safari in Botswana with Endeavour Safaris for one (1) person and 20% off one (1) additional person
- Six (6) night photo safari package for two (2) people in South Africa through Zulu Nyala Group in the Zululand conversation region
- Eye-catching stone pendant necklaces (40 – 50 mm) on hand-dyed silk ribbon by Jo Anne Larson (12 available)
- Best-selling, multi-award winning picture books
One hour guitar lesson/coaching by Marc Shulman
The guitarist, performer, and recording musician Marc Shulman played in R&B bands in the greater New York area for 15 years before recording with contemporary folk singer Suzanne Vega in 1986. His recorded work with her includes her multi-platinum smash hit “Luka.” He has also recorded with Patty Larkin, Jennifer Kimball, Vanessa Williams, Celine Dion, the New York Voices, Jonatha Brooke, Michael Franks, Billy Porter, Richard Shindell, Monica Ott, and others. Marc has performed in concert or on television with Jewel, Shawn Colvin, Billy Vera, Rosanne Cash, Junior Wells, Martha Reeves, Charley Pride, Bo Diddley, B.B. King and Rodney Crowell. He has worked extensively with composer/pianist Bob Telson since the late seventies, recording and as part of several Bob Telson/Lee Breuer collaborations including their acclaimed “Gospel At Colonus,” “A Warrior Ant” and the Percy Adlon musical “Bagdad Cafe.” Marc teaches guitarists of all ages, both live and on Zoom.
Pro Tips to Make Gorgeous Bouquets from Your Garden or Grocery Store
A 90-minute interactive Zoom workshop for an audience of up to 5 participants: “Pro Tips to Make Gorgeous Bouquets from Your Garden or Grocery Store.” Learn easy-to-remember design tips and pro secrets to extend cut-flower vase life. No design expertise required, just a love of flowers and fun. Learn the ABCs of organic gardening and farming. Share flower memories, when we first fell in love with flowers and what they mean to us.
Paul Matalucci is a cut flower farmer and Master Gardener in Hood River, Oregon, and co-owner of Apple Core Farm & Cut Flowers with his husband Tom. He became a University of California–certified Master Gardener in 2015 and recertified as an Oregon State University Master Gardener in 2020. (For his bouquet-making workshops, Paul presents as a cut flower grower only and not on behalf of the Master Gardener program.) When Paul’s nephew Marcus was a toddler, he couldn’t say Uncle Paul so it came out Apple Core, and the name seemed perfect for the farm.
Silent Auction (in-person only) Items:
- Private Sail on the San Francisco Bay
- Vivid Cut & Color by ALP Founder
- Two (2) Tickets to the San Francisco Ballet
- Private yoga session with Alice Valentine (3 available)
- Pedroncelli Winery Tasting & Wine
- Bella Winery Tasting & Wine
- Seghesio Winery Tasting & Wine
- Moonstone Wine (3 packages available)
- Handmade quilt by Claire Hubel
- Giant Garden Mask (2 available)
- Marcus Books Gift Card
- Handwoven African Wedding Bowl
- And many more items!
Private Sail on San Francisco Bay
Ahoy, Mateys! Slip on those boat shoes and get ready to set sail on San Francisco Bay. Captains Steve and Cindy Rowe will take you on a wonderful adventure while you take in the spectacular views. Lunch included.
Silent Auction (in-person only)
Vivid hair color and cut by ALP Founder
Is your hair grey or white? Wondering if a splash of blue, pink, turquoise, purple or red would add some zip to your look? It would! I’m not a pro, but have been cutting hair for the last 50 years and playing with temporary colorful hair for the last six years. Guaranteed we’ll have fun and where else can you get a new fun look and support African literacy at the same time?!
Live Auction (in-person only)
- Exclusive Insider’s Trip to Kenya during the 2023 Summit
- Four (4) night stay at Disneyland’s Grand Californian
- ALP Founder’s Dinner and Drumming Circle for eight (8) people
- Four (4) night Home Stay in Lake Forest Park
- Ife Sculpture, Ceramic replica
- Five (5) night condo stay in Maui, HI
Ceramic Replica of an Ife Sculpture, Head with a Crown
The excellent ceramic replica of a head with a crown, represents one of eighteen copper alloy sculptures that were unearthed in 1938 at Ife in Nigeria, the religious and former royal centre of the Yoruba people. The original copper sculptures were probably made in the thirteenth-fourteenth century C.E., before any European contact had taken place with the local population. The realism and sophisticated craftsmanship of the objects challenged Western conceptions of African art at the time. The ceramic replica is very detailed and in excellent condition, signed in the neck by the artist MP NIG probably for Nigeria. The ceramic sculpture was purchased in the 1970s.
• Dimensions: Height: 9.25 in. (23.5 cm)Width: 5.75 in. (14.61 cm)Depth: 6.5 in. (16.51 cm)
• Place of Origin: Nigeria
• Period: 20th Century
• Date of Manufacture: circa 1970s
• Condition: Excellent Wear consistent with age and use.
Bid on this item at the live auction on October 22.